As the first long weekend of the summer, Memorial Day is traditionally filled with barbecues and outdoor activities, but it’s also a very somber holiday intended to reflect on our nation’s fallen heroes.
This year especially, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, Memorial Day 2020 will stand out as a unique day in history, as many will have to alter their typical Memorial Day Weekend plans to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
Even while adhering to CDC guidelines and social distancing best practices to help stop the spread of COVID-19, there are plenty of ways you can honor the fallen while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer:
1. Take a Socially-Distanced Walk Through your Local Veteran’s Cemetery
2. Brush Up on Your Memorial Day Knowledge
3. Participate in a Virtual Memorial Day Walk or Running Race
4. Learn About Gold Star Families
5. Investigate Your Family’s Military History
6. Virtually Attend a Memorial Day Parade
7. Virtually Visit a War Memorial in D.C.
8. Try a CrossFit Hero Workout from the Comfort of your Home
9. Learn about the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
10. Watch a Movie About the U.S. Military